"It is impossible to overestimate the influence of parents who understand the hearts of their children." (Elder Robert D. Hales. April 2010)

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Hart Park-Northeast Bakersfield

From times past:
a favorite autumn activity-leaf jumping
very favorite, rock skipping on the Kern
Can you see the rock?




From this week:

Geese crossing There are a variety of water fowl. OK we use it as a great excuse not to eat our bread crusts: "I am saving them for the ducks!" gets the kids (ok and me) out of the driest bites.











Plenty of room to roam.








My little guy thinks these ants are too huge!













Hart park is one of our favorite picnic destinations. It is the largest park that I know of in Bakersfield and has everything my kids love: animals, water, many playstructures, trees, plenty of room to run, and did I mention water? Whether at the lake or exploring the marsh, or skipping rocks on the river, somehow my kids love the opportunity to get wet. No, I don't let them swim in the water, there have been too many reports of drowning in the Kern river to risk that, but there is this cool little backwater area formed by sandbars that is perfect for kids




and parents. We love it. Unless it is a major holiday, it is usually pretty empty.





No comments:

Post a Comment